Good morning! Today I have a fun sewing project to share with you that makes a wonderful gift as well as great holiday decor for your home. The holiday pillow wreath! My mom taught me how to make these wreaths. While growing up, she always hung one in our house around the holidays that matched our tree skirt and stockings and I loved it. Of course, when I got older and had my own house, I wanted one too! She has made a few others using non-holiday fabrics and I love them too! We have started collecting fabrics for different holidays, an Easter one would be so pretty!
The tutorial for the wreath is pretty straight forward, and since you have to make about 35 pillows, once you get the hang of it, the process is like an assembly line!
Supplies Needed for Holiday Pillow Wreath:
- Template – Link located at the end of this post
- Wire wreath form, I used one with a 12″ diameter
- 5 different fabrics for the pillows (1/4 yard of each is plenty)
- 3/8″ ribbon in a coordinating color
- Poly-fil stuffing
- Cinnamon sticks
- Matching Thread
1. Create a cardboard pattern to use for cutting out all of your pillows or download the free template from my Resource Library. The pattern should measure 4.5″ x 5.5″.
2. Cut out fabric pillows. For a 12″ diameter wreath, you will need between 30-35 pillows, depending on how full you want your wreath to look. For this wreath there are 35 pillows total, 7 pillows of each fabric. The pattern is for the entire pillow (it gets folded in half) and includes a 1/4″ seam allowance.
3. Sew fabric pillows together. For each pillow fold the fabric in half, right sides together, 4.5″ side to 4.5 side. Sew with a 1/4″ seam allowance each side/corner, of the pillow leaving an opening to stuff the pillow.
Flip your pillow right side out.
5. Tie the pillows onto the wreath using the 3/8″ ribbon. Each piece of ribbon can be about 8″ long. Start on the outer ring and work your way in. For this wreath the outer ring has 14 pillows, the middle ring has 12 pillows, and the inner ring has 9 pillows. You can decide how full you want your wreath to look and always do less. The last wreath my mom made for me had 32 pillows with 14 for the outer ring, 10 for the middle ring, and 8 for the inner ring.
6. Add cinnamon sticks. Stick two cinnamon sticks in with three pillows along the middle ring of pillows.
7. Add a little ribbon loop to the back so it can be hung up! And you are all done!
The great thing about these wreaths is you can use whatever fabric combinations you want. It doesn’t have to be holiday to make a great gift! Below is the original pillow wreath my mom made years ago and a more recent one she made using beautiful greens and nature prints. These wreaths can be incredibly versatile and you can personalize them with what fabrics you choose!
*Update* If you enjoy this pillow wreath be sure and check out the other pillow wreaths I’ve made following this same tutorial :)
Download the Free File! This freebie is in my Resource Library under Sewing, Pillow Wreaths. Enter your first name and email to get the password to download this file. You’ll also have a chance to sign up for my newsletter to receive fun craft tutorials, tips, updates and more FREE files to help make crafting something special and unique easier!